This beautiful house in a
spectacular setting in what is now Glen Park on
Glenfield Road was built around 1859 by William
Fulton, Laird of Glenfield. who owned the nearby
dyeing and finishing Works. The factory was
called Glenfield Scouring Works and was founded
in the 1820s as a bleachworks, and largely
rebuilt in 1879 . It was latterly owned by
William Fulton & Sons Ltd, scourers, dyers
and finishers, who used soft water from the
Gleniffer Braes in their processing. It closed in
They made the household name
'Glenfield Starch' which became so popular that
another manufacturer moved to Glenfield in order
to also call his starch by the same name
resulting in a famous ruling from the House of
Lords. That's why the advert below says
"When you ask for Glenfield starch, see that
you get it". They claimed it was the only
starch used in Queen Victoria's laundry.
Here is some
information about owner William Fulton and the glen
Rising from humble beginnings
as a weaver he eventually became a rich
industrialist - but never forgot his roots. When
he first took over the estate he expressed a wish
that all the people of Paisley would be at
liberty to come and walk by the braes and glens,
as if it were their own. In the same public
spirited way he declined to charge the organisers
for the use of the land all the more
surprising when you consider the scale of the
concerts, which were without parallel in their
day and were as impressive as modern pop
In their heyday, the choir numbered around 700
voices, composed mainly of mill girls and other
working class women of the town, and the
concerts, consisting of a mainly Scottish
repertoire, were performed to astonishingly large
audiences of around 30,000. At the time of the
Burns statue series however the choir numbered
around 400 and their audience peaked at over
20,000. The concerts successfully raised
money for good causes from 1874 until 1936, when
they were discontinued due to lack of support.
One of their first gifts to the town was the fine
statue of Robert Tannahill mentioned earlier, but
as they embarked on the Burns series they were
setting a much more ambitious target.
The site can be found in Glen Park today beside
the children's play area.
Photo of the house from the braes
Craigielinn House once stood
near the top of the Gleniffer Braes in what was a 45 acre estate
not far from Paisley Golf Course and Glenburn reservoir.
Remains can be found today beside a style
fence) just below the tree line. The map
below right (click for larger version) is annotated with the place names that can be found at
the bottom of
this 1868 map. The house still appears in the 1947
map (left). It's easy to find by
following a line of bushes (marked by a blue line) on the map that veers to the left
straight down to the fence. The same
line is still visible on Bing maps (right).
The building was
described as "a superior dwelling house with garden and
ornamental grounds attached the property of Rev P Brewster
and occupied by him". The configuration of the property
is different in the 1947 and 1868 maps. The wall looks like
part of the larger 1947 building.
Brewster was the renowned Paisley
Abbey minister, crusading preacher, author and political
Patrick Brewster who lived in the house until his death
in 1859. In 1922, it was bought by Glasgow philanthropist George
Carter Cossar as a training farm for destitute boys
before emigration to Canada. More
That there is a style at the remaining wall may not
be a coincidence. Either a modern
replacement or put there to allow access to the ruin.
The house is situated in a
significant hollow created by a small stream and there is what appears to
be a boundary wall at the other side of the fence (right)
which can be seen on the 1947 map.
There is also what looks like
a brick base a few yards from the wall (left).
Witches Corner is on the right.
The names Fairy
Fall (Geograph) and
Witches Corner on the map
were actually created by Brewster himself
applied to Ordnance Survey to have them placed on
maps as can be seen by following the link.
difficult to see through the foliage, but it looks like a
steep gorge from Witches Corner down and easy to
imagine that minus the deep undergrowth, this might have
been a dramatic piece of (micro) scenery and why Brewster
went to the trouble of naming and registering places that
weren't even on his land. It was the property of a Mr Fulton
owner of the 'The
Glen' mansion. The nearby
Gleniffer Gorge made by the Gleniffer Burn is 50
feet deep in places.
They are all on
the line of the Glen Burn which
flows out of the
Glenburn Reservoir . Further downstream are the spectacular
Craigielinn falls. Here is an excellent
video made with a drone flying from the beautiful
top Linn dam up to the falls.